A little over a year ago I stumbled upon Poshmark and I have been hooked and in love with selling my clothes on the app ever since. So what exactly is Poshmark? It's a social marketplace for fashion--and then some. Essentially, Poshmark is an app that provides a space to buy and sell clothing. But its way more than that. Poshmark is a community that allows you to share your love for fashion and style, while making new friends and finding amazing fashion brands for less. The bulk of items for sale are used. But don't think yucky thrift store-- think gently worn, pre-loved, and in many cases no sign of wear or tear. A lot of sellers also have NWT (New with Tags) inventory, which means the item is brand spanking new and still has the original store tag attached.
This is a community of people who obsess over style and fashion and who are careful to select clothing that is in good, and in most cases, mint condition. Don't get me wrong, there are some sellers who will post questionable items. However, the majority of Poshers put a lot of care into their Poshmark Closets. Poskmark also includes shoes and accessories and recently added a home category where you can now buy and sell home goods. Poshmark is the perfect solution to my ever-rotating closet. Once I turned 40 I decided that I wanted to change up my style, so I’m constantly shopping for new clothes and trying new trends. As I blogger I have a lot of clothes. It doesn’t make sense to keep a packed wardrobe because I can only wear so much at one time. So I rotate items out and sell them on Poshmark.
The PoshLife Blog by Poshmark
The PoshLife Blog is the perfect place to keep up to date on the latest news from Poshmark. It is a must follow if you want to keep on top of your Poshmark game. One of my Poshmark listings was recently highlighted as one of Poshmark’s Community Covershot Goals! I was so excited to recieve this honor as I put a lot of time and effort into my Poshmark Closet and building my Poshmark community. You can follow my closet on Poshmark at @PoshyMelissa. Keep reading for the 5 Reasons you should be selling on Poshmark in your 40’s.
5 reasons you should be selling on Poshmark in your 40's
1. You have evolving style. In our 40's our style has evolved and we may even be in a fashion transition. In your 40’s you are likely in a place where you are trying to find out what your new fashion style is. If you find yourself rotating through clothing or simply not wanting to wear the same thing over and over again, then Poshmark may be for you. Selling your clothes on Poshmark provides the opportunity to buy and try new styles that you may not have been able to afford otherwise. What do I mean by that? If you sell your clothes, you can use the money you make to purchase the things you really want to wear.
2. You can make extra money to put toward your goals. So we are all about cultivating the life we want to live right? Well, sometimes the things we really desire to do in life require finances. Maybe you desire to take that trip to Italy or London or go on that beach vacation in the Caribbean you've been thinking about for the last 15 years. Or maybe you want to take that photography class. Poskmark is so easy to use and only requires a cell phone and your clothes to make money. The best thing is, that you can make money quickly and you can cash out at any time. Your earnings are transferred directly into your bank account.
3. You've been meaning to clean out your closet anyway. Your closet is likely packed with stuff. And according to Marie Kondo, if you do not have an emotional response to a piece of clothing it's time for it to go. Nostalgia is not your friend when it comes to your closet. And don't forget that Oprah told us 20 years ago that if you have clothes you haven't worn in a year-- it's time for it to go. We are used to grabbing a bundle of clothes and dropping them off at Goodwill. And you absolutely should still donate. However, Goodwill and the donation bin companies sell your clothes-- so why shouldn't you? There is actually an entire clothing industry based on the clothing donation bins-- but that is for another blog post. I'm willing to bet you have clothes in your closet right now with tags still on them! Decide what your money makers are and use the profits to cultivate the life you really want to live.
4. You can start that business you've always wanted. Many of you have been wanting to start a business for years. The truth is running a business is hard. Poshmark is a good way to test the waters and determine if you have what it takes to be an entrepreneur. Or if you even like running a business. Selling on Poshmark will require that you manage inventory, provide customer service, keep up with social communications, and manage shipping and handling. All of these entrepreneurial activities will give you a sense if starting a business is really what you want to do. Maybe you'll decide to make Poshmark your business or it may encourage you to start that business you've been wanting to do for years. A bonus to Poshmark is they have a wholesale market that you are given access to once you generate a certain number of sales. This option allows you to become a reseller of clothing and purchase directly from a wholesaler. You can start an online boutique with inventory right on Poshmark.
5. It's a great side hustle. Everyone needs a little stash of cash to do the fun stuff you like to do regularly. Poshmark is an easy side hustle if you just want to have extra spending money to splurge on for dining out, a hobby, that premium gym membership, or going to events on the weekends. It's the perfect option for women who have a busy full-time job but still want to generate additional pocket money on the side without having to dip into savings to do the things you enjoy.
Do any of these 5 reasons to start selling on Poshmark resonate with you?
If so, post a comment below and tell me your thoughts or ask any questions you have about my experience selling on Poshmark. How can Poshmark help you cultivate the life you want to live?
Ready to start selling on Poshmark? Install free app now! Sign up with code POSHYMELISSA to get $5 off your first order. When you sign up for Poshmark using my code, you’ll receive a $10 credit to shop (doing the happy dance), and I’ll earn $10 after you receive your first purchase! It’s a win-win for both of us. This offer is for a limited time only.
SHOP MY LOOK
Top: Ruffled Blouse (Similar style) Scroll through the look book below for other options.